- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate/ Sodium Laureth Sulfate-: This is an ingredient used in a lot of household cleaning and hygiene products. It’s a cheap and effective foaming agent. However, this dries out your hair over time and leads to breakage. Other ingredients in the same family are ammonium laureth sulfate, ammonium laurel sulfate and TEA laurel sulfate. Use a shampoo with natural cleansing ingredients instead.
- Parabens (methyl, propyl, butyl, and ethyl)-: Parabens are preservatives, which are used to extend the shelf life of hair products. However, they can be absorbed into the system as well. Studies have linked parabens to allergic and skin reactions as well as health issues. Paraben free products work just as effectively, if not better, on hair.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA)-: These ingredients are commonly used in hair products as foaming agents and emulsifiers. They can cause allergic reactions and strip away vital nutrients from the hair resulting in dry and dull hair. Other ingredients in the same category include cocamide DEA or MES and Lauramide DEA.
- Mineral Oil-: This is a colourless and odourless oil, which is a distillation of petroleum. It doesn’t moisturize or provide much benefits for the hair. Instead, it coats it and prevents other nutrients from reaching the strands.
- Petrolatum-: This is in the same family as mineral oil and is also used industrially. It is applied primarily to the scalp. However, it can clog the hair follicles and hinder healthy hair growth.
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG:-) This is aka as propylene glycol. It is used in making cleansers to dissolve oil and grease as well as thicken products. It initially gives hair a smoother look but over time, it accelerates breakdown of protein of the hair.
- Isopropyl Alcohol-: This ingredient aka rubbing alcohol is a component in hair color rinses, lotions and a variety of other cosmetics. It has a drying effect on hair and also leads to breakage.
All the ingredients above combine together to cause damage to hair in the form of dryness, dullness and lack luster strands. Before you buy any hair products, take a few minutes to scan the ingredient list. The higher up an ingredient is on the list, the more of it is contained in the product. There are several natural and organic alternatives in the market, which work better to help you achieve your hair health goals.