So you probably have already heard or read somewhere that coconut oil is great for the skin. What you maybe do not know yet is that it could also be the cure to recurrent skin conditions such as eczema. Yes, it’s official: dermatologists now recognize that coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer and an efficient anti-inflammatory, and that is why it is now prescribed as a natural treatment for eczema and dermatitis.
But the benefits of coco nut oil go much beyond skin health:
– another finding is that coco nut oil is rich in lauric acid, the same substance found in breast milk, and is rich in vitamin E, minerals, essential fatty acids, and other essential components for a healthy life.
– coco nut oil decreases hunger, causing the feeling of satiety when taken before meals. It increases the rates of basal metabolism, and thus the expenditure of energy (this effect is attributed to the lauric acid present in the oil). This is one of the reasons why many diets are now based on the ingestion of coconut oil, specially the extra virgin version of it. In Brazil, for example, where the ingestion of coconut oil is widely spread due to the vast amount coconut trees present in its territory, the so called dieta do coco (also known as dieta do oleo) has been extremely popular – and successful – in the last few years.
– it can also lower cholesterol, fight free radicals, balance hormones and reduce the feeling of fatigue. Regarding cholesterol, it is an important source to lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the good (HDL), helping to protect the heart. Some experts believe that the oil acts doing a kind of ” cleansing ” of the blood. A diet rich in coconut oil is therefore GREAT for health.
And its benefits do not stop here.
– due to the presence of phytohormones, it can also help prevent breast cancer and neurodegenerative diseases.
– it also helps regulate intestinal functions and strenghten the immunological system.
Last but not least, coconut oil smells great! It has an appealing, pleasant scent. It can remind you of tropical paradises, holidays and margaritas on the beach.